Purpose: To break down the 2 on 1 situation for the defensive player. Technique, principles, and confidence can also be achieved in this drill. This drill also aids in the understanding of how to convert offensively in a 2 on 1 situation by making sound and fundamental decisions.
Drill: Set up 3 lines as shown in the diagram. The drill begins with O1 dribbling down the middle of the lane. X1, coming from a help position, attempts to stop the dribble. If stopped, O1 attempts to pass to O2, who is cutting towards the basket. The defender must now convert to stopping O2 from scoring.
- The defensive player cannot foul and he must contest the shot and then block out the shooter.
- The ‘jab and retreat’ concept should be used by the defender.
- Active feet and active hands are necessary – work on it!
- The defender’s first objective is to stop the basketball / penetration.
- All players should alternate and switch lines.