From her book, “Basketball for Women”, Nancy Lieberman shares her 10 steps to stardom. As she says, these steps “can help you achieve and handle the success that will come with your hard work and dedication”.
Ten Steps to Basketball Stardom
- Competitive Greatness: Includes patience, your mental attitude, faith, determination, and fight.
- Coachability: Be hardworking, loyal, enthusiastic. Listen well. Have the ability to adapt to different systems. Be a leader.
- Skill Development: Have a will to work at the basics, giving attention to all details. Strive for perfection. Use repetition to achieve success.
- Conditioning: Conditioning includes mental, physical, and emotional training habits; diet; prevention of injuries; and the ability to take on all challenges.
- Confidence: Lead by example. Respect all, fear no one.
- Practice Habits: Be the first one there, the last to leave. Be cooperative, have discipline, be alert, and have enthusiasm and team spirit.
- Loyalty: Be loyal not only to yourself, but to your school, coaches, and teammates. There’s nothing more important.
- Goal-Setting: Plan your improvement. Reach each level of your goals, little by little, until you achieve where you want to be.
- Ambition: Have the confidence and desire to be the best. Work hard. Be better than others. Make your dreams a reality.
- Being a Good Sport: Show respect, integrity, and good judgment in how you treat teammates and opponents, coaches and officials. Have self-control.
I think these are all great concepts and worth sharing with your players! Easily print it off using the ‘print’ button below!
What do you think? Anything else we can add to help our players to stardom? Feel free to share in the comments!