Regardless of how you decide to break and attack full court pressure, the players must learn various fundamentals that are helpful in beating pressure. Teach your players these skills and devote practice time so they will understand them and develop confidence against pressure.
Here are the 20 fundamentals to be stressed:
- Do not waste your dribble. Dribble with a purpose
- Stay under control when dribbling. Out of control dribbling often leads to a turnover.
- Throw diagonal passes.
- Know where the traps are coming from. Most pressure defenses attempt to trap in the corners of the baseline and halfcourt. Stay out of the corners.
- Hit the first open man.
- For the player inbounding the ball, remember that the ball must touch a player on the court within 5 seconds.
- Look downcourt. When you catch the ball, look toward your own offensive end of the court.
- Split the doubleteam. Honestly, most defenders set poor traps. If there is a gap between them, look to split that gap.
- When under pressure and/or trapped, utilize the 2-hand overhead pass.
- You are allowed 10 seconds in the backcourt. That is a long time. Be patient.
- Going along with #4 above, do not dribble across halfcourt and stop. You cannot go back across the line or it is over-and-back. Stopping just across the line puts you at a great disadvantage.
- Get the ball to the middle. It’s harder to trap in the middle and most press defenses don’t even attempt it.
- Do not throw a pass across the lane at your defensive basket.
- Keep your eye on the ball at all times.
- Pass forward toward your basket whenever possible. Don’t force anything, but look to attack.
- When you are receiving a pass, move toward the passer.
- Make a lot of ball / pass fakes.
- Understand that when you are doubleteamed, a teammate must be open.
- A jump ball is better than a lost ball.
- Follow the game plan / press attack offensive set. Work as a unit to break the pressure. If one player is not following the press offense, it disrupts the entire group and their ability to break it.
Stress the above tips and teach them with the drills found in the Press Attack Offenses & Drills section.
Latest posts by Tony Alfonso (see all)
- Mentally Dominate Your Competition - November 4, 2019
- Improve Your Basketball Game With These Impressive Workouts - August 28, 2019
- 14 Ways to Turn Failure Into Success - March 3, 2019