Purpose: To teach the concept of passing the basketball ‘by the ear’ and to develop the basketball players ability to make the pass through defensive pressure.
Passing ‘by the ear’ works nearly every time if performed correctly. For example, a low ball fake gets the defender to drop his arm. Bringing the ball back and then passing ‘by the ear’ of the defender is virtually unstoppable. As defenders, we are not used to or comfortable having our hands up by our ears. Therefore, a pass zipped right past the defenders head is the objective.
Drill: The players will form groups of three as shown; 2 groups can be at each basket available.
The wing player starts with the basketball and attempts to make the pass by the defender and into the post player. The defender should apply as much pressure as possible.
- Keep your head up. Be able to see the floor and see the open man and then make the pass to his open side.
- Fake with purpose. Do not simply wave the basketball around. Make solid, succinct ball fakes.
- After making a fake, return the ball to chest area / triple threat position.
- Make the pass ‘by the ear’.
- Maintain your calm and poise.
- Have each player make a set number of passes or rotate all players on command.