Purpose: This drill is specifically designed to work on defending the high pick or back screen. ‘Defending the Give & Go with a High Pick’ has several variations. It can be run from the wing, the baseline, or the top; as shown. By moving the drill to different areas the players will realize that the principles learned apply regardless of where they are on the floor.
- Place 6 players at a basket (or create lines if needed)
- The drill begins with O1 passing to O2, who immediately cuts hard ballside off of the back screen of O3. This is the basic give and go with a high post back screen on th cutter.
- O1 should set up his defender by taking a step or two the other way before cutting off of his teammate.
- O3 must set a legal screen
- X1 should ‘jump to the ball’ to take away the cut. If he cannot stop the cut, he should go under the screen and attempt to beat O1 to the spot in the lane.
- X3 must help by showing himself and “jamming” O1 (help and recover). As a last resort, X3 can switch with X1. Communication is essential.
- X2 should pressure the ball so O2 does not have an easy time entering the ball.
- Communication, quick footwork, and getting in the passing lane are the important defensive fundamentals here.
- All players can then rotate offense, defense, and positions after desired number of repetitions.