Purpose: To practice ball-handling, controlling, and protecting the basketball on the dribble. Also helps to develop vision and reaction.
This is a fun youth basketball drill but can be used at any age (older kids will have fun because they probably played this when young). It’s a fun way to end practice and also a great drill for camp situations.
Drill: Place half the team inside the three-point area at one end of the court and half at the other end. Each player has a basketball.
The objective of Dribble Tag is to continue dribbling while you knock the other players’ basketball away from them and outside of the three-point area. If a player recovers his basketball and controls it before it goes out of the area, he is still in the game.
- Players should keep their heads up and protect the basketball with their body to avoid losing it.
- Once their basketball is outside of the 3-point line, they are eliminated.
- Game continues until only one player remains at each end. They will meet in the center circle for the championship battle.
- When you get down to 3 players, make them stay inside the painted lane area.
- Though contact is inevitable, blatant fouling or pushing when knocking a ball out will force that player to be eliminated.
Join The Hoops U. Basketball Coaching Academy and get more youth ball handling & dribbling drills!