Purpose: For the post player to learn and develop the skill of getting open in the low post.
Drill: A coach or player starts with the basketball on the wing. The post player, O5, begins on the opposite low block.
O5 fakes one way with a jab step to set up the defender and then cuts the other way toward the ball.
As O5 moves into the lane, the hands should be ready to receive the ball. Once O5 receives the ball he should make a move to score such as making a power layup move, drop step, spin, hook shot, layup, jump shot, etc.
- Good footwork. The post player should work to get good position with his body between the ball and the defender.
- Good body balance on cuts. The player should flash toward the ball in a balanced position with at least one hand giving a signal for the ball.
- Individual post moves. Stress a greater variety of moves as the players’ skills develop.
- Add a defender. When the post player has learned to use good footwork on the flash and on the moves, you may wish to incorporate a defender once in awhile.
Latest posts by Tony Alfonso (see all)
- Mentally Dominate Your Competition - November 4, 2019
- Improve Your Basketball Game With These Impressive Workouts - August 28, 2019
- 14 Ways to Turn Failure Into Success - March 3, 2019