Purpose: To practice shooting, following own shot, passing to a shooter, and closing out on a shooter. Also improves and develops footwork and conditioning.
Shoot and Follow
Drill: Two players and a basketball. Player O1 shoots and follows his shot, secures the rebound, and passes to his partner who is moving to a spot.
Players continue to alternate shots in this drill that should last :30 to :60 seconds.
- Shooters should catch in a ready position
- Shots should be taken from game spots
- Players should be quick to rebound, pass, and shot. Game speed!
- For a variation, have the shooter rebound and finish any missed shots
Shoot and Closeout
This drill is set up in the same manner as above. The difference is that on the pass back to the partner, O1 will closeout and contest the shot. O2 follows his shot and closes out on the pass.
- Again, same as above with the additional aspect of working on solid closeouts.