Purpose: To work on getting back on defense and recovering quickly to defend an offensive player. Also helps develop communication skills and conditioning. The offensive players get work on scoring in a fast break situation.
Drill: The offensive players O1, O2, and O3 start along the baseline in position to run a 3-lane break.
X1, X2, and X3 are the defenders. They will begin in the corner and X1 has the basketball.
The drill begins with X1 handing the basketball to O3. Immediately, X1, X2, X3 sprint to touch the opposite baseline and then position themselves to defend.
O3 will immediately pass to the middle player, O1, and they will take off on a 3-man break.
The defensive objective is simple: don’t let the offense score! Obviously the offensive players are attempting to score. Continue until offense scores or defense secures the basketball. Rotate offense and defense and go back the other way.
- Sprint to touch baseline before defending
- Defenders must communicate who they will be guarding (TALK!)
Latest posts by Tony Alfonso (see all)
- Mentally Dominate Your Competition - November 4, 2019
- Improve Your Basketball Game With These Impressive Workouts - August 28, 2019
- 14 Ways to Turn Failure Into Success - March 3, 2019