Purpose: To work on rebounding in traffic and taking the basketball up strong against pressure. The offensive player will have to use fundamental moves to score and the defensive player works on giving intense inside pressure.
Drill: Two players and one basketball per basket. O1 has the ball and stands near the low block on either side of the rim. X2 stands out of bounds on the same side as the offensive player (in this diagram, both players are on the right side).
- O1 starts by tossing the basketball high off the backboard.
- As soon as the ball hits the backboard, x2 steps onto the court.
- O1 secures the rebound.
- O1 attempts to score over X2 and can use ball fakes and/or post moves. O1 is only allowed a maximum of one dribble.
- Continue until O1 scores or X2 stops him.
- Rotate positions and repeat drill.
- Continue drill until a player scores three baskets.
- Make drill “competitive” by having the losing player perform an exercise such as 10 pushups, 10 rim touches, squat jumps, etc.
- Make drill more difficult and challenging by having 2 defensive players step in from out of bounds.